BAM has so many applications. It’s a way to get into (legally and ethically) closed countries. It’s a way to relieve poverty. It’s a way to spread the Kingdom. And, it’s a way to bring the victims of trafficking into liberty.
Jesus read this Scripture in the synagogue:
“The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He anointed me to preach the Gospel to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives, and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are oppressed,”Luke 4:18
We rightly apply this to spiritual liberation from sin and bondage to Satan. But we also need to apply it to the scourge of our world: slavery! Whether it’s human trafficking for sexual purposes or work purposes, Jesus came to set people free. Consider these tragic statistics (from The World Counts):
- 90% of women and children who end up as Sex Slaves were victims of childhood sexual abuse before they were recruited.
- You are in greater risk of being hit by a bolt of lightning than you are of going to jail, if you enslave a person in South Asia.
- An estimated number of 800,000 people are illegally trafficked across international borders every year.
- There are 161 countries affected by human trafficking.
- The total yearly profit gained from human trafficking is a staggering $32 billion a year.
- Majority of modern slavery victims are between the ages of 18 and 24 years old.
- 1.2 million children are enslaved through forced labor and exploited in the sexual industry each year.
- Brazil leads the world in fighting modern day slavery.
- In terms of profit, Human Trafficking is ranked as the 3rd largest international crime industry – just behind Drugs and Arms Trafficking
Like poverty, trafficking is primarily economically driven. That’s where BAM comes in. By providing alternatives to child selling (for example) and jobs for women rescued from prostitution, BAM provides a way of escape. With 30+ million victims at the present time, there’s a lot to do. Get involved in BAM, support BAM, invest in BAM…to bring liberty to the captives like Jesus!